Official Minutes from April 3, 2017
Called to Order @ 6:00
In Attendance: Rob Wedemann, Arlene Cleberg, , Joe Berns, Sister Mary Lou, Hamsa Jamal, Jennifer Slate-Hanson, Nicole, Kerry Beckler, and Enno Limvere.
Minutes of Last Meeting Approved
Treasurers Report: Joe will give an update at next meeting.
Green Aberdeen is a volunteer group committed to serving the Aberdeen area by promoting and implementing practices consistent with sustainable living such as conservation of resources, waste, reduction, recycling and increased reliance on renewable energy.
- Jennifer gave us an info on how much recycling the city does, how many people participate, etc.
- 7,876 (79%) households participated in recycling in 2016
- 407 tons of recycling was picked up in 2016, down a bit from 2009- possibly because many plastic containers are becoming thinner/lighter.
- Recycling cost $182,620 was spent on recycling in 2016
- These numbers indicate that people are very interested in recycling and are willing to invest in it.
- Recycling contracts are for 5 year increments and revisions need to be in by October of this year.
- Would still like to find a way to get recycling options into multi-family dwellings
Becoming a 501 (c) 3. Board of Directors made plans to go forward with this, but will be tabling this topic until after the Earth Day Fair.
The current board met briefly before the meeting to get to know each other better, talk about becoming a 501 (c) 3 organization, and brainstorm fundraising ideas.
Earth Day Fair Info:
- Place and Facilities
April 22nd at Briscoe Building and Central Park 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Briscoe is not charging us rent and are using their insurance for the event.
- Profiling Beauty is donating insurance for Central Park festivities
- The Briscoe bldg. is 4000 sq ft with the use of projector screens. There is an upstairs area that can be used for band, etc.
- Candace will provide us with a floor plan/layout for event planning purposes.
- Leaders: Need one or two to be in charge
- Workers: Joel Mann and Daughters of American Revolution have signed up so far.
- Posters updated, printed, and distributed to group.
- Distribute promotional materials around town.
- Get a social campaign going through social media: We are now on Instagram! @greenaberdeensd. There has been a Facebook event page started as well. We will have a Pinterest page by the next meeting.
- Talked about reaching out to the local Radio Stations, Channel 7, and sending info to the Chamber
- There is currently a Facebook ad running and an Event Page started. Please share to all of you personal pages.
- Leaders: _Enno & ______________(would like one more)
- Workers: Rob Wedemann
- Events & Entertainment
- The Oil Room will be doing a Community Project for Saturday morning
- Onsite Live Music – There are 5 groups slated to play so far.
- The Fallout Art Community will be making a mural at the event.
- Games and Activities for all ages – Central High School is heading this up.
- Candace Briscoe is contacting the local elementary schools about making recycled art projects that we can display- similar to last year.
- Speakers and Classes: We talked about several groups/people to have come and speak or teach a class – Sand Lake Conservatory, Soil Conservation, Park & Recreation, Yoga Class, Emily from the YMCA will be speaking about food waste, Dr. Andrew Gough will be speaking about detoxifying your body, Tom Hamak.
- The Presentation sisters will be making cloth shopping bags to distribute.
- The March for Science is taking place on the same day/starting at the same time that the Fair is, we are hoping to partner with them for the day.
- Need Leaders to coordinate _________________ & ______________________
- Booths – Reminder: sponsorship will be $75 dollars to sponsor (sponsorship does include a booth space) this year (up from $50), and $35 to rent a space. All non-profit, community organizations will get a free booth space.
- We need to recruit business and, non-profit businesses, and community organizations to be a part.
- We talked about setting up a separate recycling booth that shows what you can recycle in a blue bin and have a large poster of our list of places to recycling in Aberdeen.
- The Chamber of commerce will have a booth again this year. Farmer’s Market may have some booths.
- We spoke about possible food booths- will want to make sure they are ‘green’ options.
- The Junction will set up their truck for the event.
- Workers – Kerry Beckler, Scott Doering, and Nicole Johnson are working on this.
- Everyone should try to get their business or the other community organizations they are a part of to either have a booth or sponsor us. Thank you in advance!!
- Fundraising and Finances
- People can still sponsor and rent booth space.
- Budget is $450 dollars.
- Work with Treasurer to ensure fiscal responsibility concerning the budget and handling of money.
- We spoke about getting Tshirts donated from local businesses, we can have them screen printed for $2 each. We can sell these to raise money.
- Leaders: _Joe Berns_ & _____________
- Workers: _Rachael Gilbertson_ _________ __________________
- Organizations and Businesses who are working with us or we think will:
Daughters of the American Revolution, Exchange Club, Partners in Community Pride, Chamber of Commerce, NSU Environmental Club, Presentation Environmental Club, Central HS Environmental Club, Briscoe Building, Fallout Creative Community, Oil Room, Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, 4-H, Master Gardeners
Next Meeting on April 17th @ 7:00 pm (ARCC is closed that Monday, looking for alternative place).