ARCC cf 103
May 1, 2017 7:00 p.m.
Introductions: In Attendance- Rob, Enno, Joe, Kerry, Arlene, Hamsa, Sister Mary Lou
Minutes of Last Meeting- approved
Treasure’s Report- $767.59 in account- approved
Green Aberdeen is a volunteer group committed to serving the Aberdeen area by promoting and implementing practices consistent with sustainable living such as conservation of resources, waste reduction, recycling and increased reliance on renewable energy.
GOALS FOR GREEN ABERDEEN
- Short Term (Within 1 year):
- Possible Goals for This Year
- Promote Green Aberdeen & City Wide Recycling
- Renegotiating Recycling Contract
- Working with NSU Environmental Club
- Working with Central’s Environmental Club
- Possible Goals for This Year
- Recycling Contract with City – City Council Ordinance
- Becoming a 501 (3) C – Board of Directors working on this
- Budget and Fundraising and Grants –
- Review Earth Day 2017 Saturday April 22, 2017- On next page!
- Election of Board – need nominations for 1 at large member
- Creating Teams:
- Community Projects (Joe and Kerry)
- Ideas so far- making bags
- Information Events (Arlene)
- Ideas so far- Emily Newton (Food Waste), Documentaries, possible NSU/Presentation partnership for speaker, Profiling Beauty can show documentaries
- Social Events
- Ideas so far- “Thrasher” event at Presentation, Picnic at Easton Castle, Solstice Celebration/Bon Fire, Fallout Art and Bicycle Event May 27th
- Ideas so far- attend City Council meeting, become a City Council member
- Having Booth at Farmers Market May 4th at Central Park: 2:30 to 6:30, Enno will try to have pamphlets ready for the Market, sell t-shirts and market bags there when ready.
Things to be done before next meeting:
- Meeting adjourned @8:04
- Next Meeting is Tuesday June 6th @ 7:00 p.m. (ARCC is closed on Mondays during the summer)
Earth Day Fair 2017 Recap:
- The Oil Room
- The Junction
- Rob & Heather Williams
- Profiling Beauty
- Chamber of Commerce
- Presentation Sisters
- Easton Castle/O-TE-LA Conservancy
- Downtown Aberdeen Association
- Green Aberdeen
1:00 Better Ride
2:00 Joe Berns & Friends
4:00 Bethlehem Praise Choir
1:00 March for Science (Organized by Corey Heidelberger) the march went well
2:45 Tai Chi Demonstration with Vicki Holley- this went over really well
1:00 – 3:00 Games & Activities for all Ages sponsored by Central High Environmental Club- bean bags and chalk drawing- went over well.
1:00 – 5:00 Community Art Project Sponsored by Fall Out Creative Community- mural- everyone seemed to really like this.
2:00 Emily Newton, dietician at YMCA, talking about Food Waste- was ill and could not attend
3:15 Margaret Holman James talking about suburban forests- was very informational
Candace Briscoe organizing an elementary art show- went well
Lois Beckner organizing an adult art show- should contact several weeks earlier so they have more time to prepare
- Place & Facilities – Briscoe Building and Central Park Time: 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.- place worked well for what we needed.
- Promotion- about 150 people attended
- Events & Entertainment- build a stage in Central Park next year, better access for the entertainers
- Booths- next year print some Green Aberdeen pamphlets to have at the booth for people to take
- Fundraising and Finances- Green Aberdeen screen printed t-shirts and cloth grocery bags- Rob will be speaking to Tiffany about this